Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pita magic: an answer to life's most compelling question

I'm sure you stay awake at night pondering upon the mysteries of the pita...
I mean, it's not a pita unless it has a pocket; and it doesn't have a pocket unless... how do you get a pocket-ed bread anyway? Well, you take this recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peppys-Pita-Bread/Detail.aspx (you don't have to have a bread machine, like it says) and...with a really hot oven, and a few minutes the dough goes from this:
To this.
You watch these puppies puff up and you might as well be watching magic.
It might be the top-ten highlight of my baking career.
Did I say it's really cool?!
Am I a nerd?! Maybe.
But do you see the pocket- that's all air in there! The pitas flatten out when they cool, but the pocket is STILL there! Amazing. I do not lie, this all happened in my very own oven.

Homemade pita and homemade hummus, totally worth it.

4 comments:

  1. So funny! I've been using that same recipe! I love it! (Although I'm usually too impatient to let the dough rise and mine turn our more like flat bread. We've tried it with humus, marinated grilled chicken and cucumber yogurt sauce, curried lentils, and plain ol' butter. Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our blog is going private. Check out my post for more details and how to get access. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete