Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Emily is READING!

Okay, I'm going to toot Emily's horn a little here, so bear with me... but I am so proud of this girl! She just turned 3.5 and she is beginning to read. Woohoo!

I had heard about the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons so I checked it out from the library. I thought Emily might be ready for reading lessons because she is always playing with sounds, rhyming, telling me what sounds different words start with, etc. Even then, I presented the lessons casually/no pressure and didn't make a big deal if she didn't want to do them. At first Emily didn't really love the lessons, so we would only do them every few days. We're only on lesson 5 or 6 now, but things magically "clicked" the other night and it was SO fun to see! She sounded out "at" and then "sam" and her eyes lit up, like, "I got it!!" For a parent, watching your child read their first word is like hearing them say "mama" for the first time, or watching them take their first step. Oh boy, we laughed and cheered and celebrated and made a big deal about it!! She was beaming and then told me, "Mom, I have a great idea! We should go buy some candy and treats and eat them in the bed to have a celebration!!" Cheers to reading and three big cheers for Emily!



2 comments:

  1. Yeah Emily! That is awesome. She is such a cutie. She is growing up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for your comment you left on my blog about my birth story (at Sutter Davis Birth Center). It is indeed a great place to deliver your baby! Interestingly, I loved reading about your young 3.5 year old learning to read! My two oldest are 5 and 3.5 and I think they are both ready to read…I have just not really had much clue as to how to teach them. I'll have to look for that book you recommended!

    ReplyDelete